Introduction to Commerce, Georgia
The original inhabitants of what is now the city of Commerce were the Creek and Cherokee tribes. The white settlers first arrived in Commerce on January 20, 1784. The first person to receive a land grant in the area was William Dunson, a German immigrant. He named the area Groaning Rock. In 1808, Eli Shankle built a trading post near Groaning Rock and named it Harmony Grove. Harmony Grove was officially incorporated as a town on December 24, 1884. On August 6, 1904, Harmony Grove was reincorporated as Commerce.
Commerce and nearby Attractions
- Crawford W. Long Museum
- Church-Waddel-Brumby House
- Georgia Museum of Art
- Taylor-Grady House
- Fort Yargo State Park
Things To Do In Commerce
The area is home to various local museums, such as the Crawford W. Long Museum and Georgia Museum of Art. The Crawford Museum displays artifacts highlighting the life of the renowned physician, Dr. Crawford W. Long. The federal-style Church-Waddel-Brumby House and the Greek-style Taylor-Grady House are the two popular historic sites. The city also features a number of eateries such as the Checkers Drive-In restaurant, Outback Steakhouse, and Burger King.
Anderson Regional Airport is the closest airport to the city.
Commerce Higher Education
Higher education is available at University of Georgia, Gainesville College, and Gwinnett Technical College.