Dalton is home to many of the country's floor covering manufactures. It's referred to as the "Carpet capital of the world." The city is home to a vast number of carpet plants and carpet outlet stores. The industry provides over 30,000 jobs in the region. Education and healthcare are other significant factors for the economy.
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has included the Dalton area as one of four regions in the nation where the business community and education have been working effectively to improve educational performances for over a decade.
Some of the most popular jobs in Dalton where the majority of the workers are college graduates include wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives, teachers, registered nurses, computer system analysts, accountants and auditors, computer programmers, sales managers, special education teachers and computer and information systems managers.
Shown below is a list of the largest employers in the Dalton area:
- Shaw Industries Group Inc
- Aladdin Mills
- Collins Group
- Fieldturf USA Inc
- Whitfield Education Foundation Inc
- Five Star Holding Company Inc
- J&J Industries
- Textile Rubber and Chemical Company Inc
- Dalton Public Schools
- Calfee Company of Dalton Inc
- Windstream Georgia LLC
- Marketing Alliance Group Inc
- NPC South Inc
- Oriental Weavers Rug Manufacturing Company Inc
- TI Acquisition
- Shaw Contract Flooring Services Inc
- Product Concepts Residential LLC
- North Georgia Electric Membership Corporation
The major sectors for employment in Dalton are:
- Textile mills and textile products
- Accommodation and food services
- Finance and insurance
Noteworthy data regarding Dalton: In 2007 the estimated median household income was $35,000. In 2008 the cost of living index was 85.3 which is less than the national average of 100. About 18% of the residents have a bachelor's degree or better.
Dalton companies have access to helpful business organizations including:
- Dalton-Whitfield Chamber of Commerce
- Downtown Dalton Development Authority
- Dalton Whitfield Economic Development Authority
- Georgia Economic Developers Association
The Daily Citizen offers current information regarding the business activities in Dalton.