The Lewiston region's primary industry is paper and timber products. The Clearwater Paper Corporation is the primary company in the industry. The ports along the river transport goods and are also significant elements of the economy. Other important factors for Lewiston are medical services, agriculture, manufacturing and recreational based businesses.
The major sectors for employment in the Lewiston region are the paper products industry, healthcare, accommodation and food services, manufacturing, education and the government. About 26% of the jobs are in management, professional and related occupations. Approximately 25% of the workforce are employed in sales and office jobs.
Some of the most popular occupations in Lewiston filled by college graduates are registered nurses, teachers, accountants and auditors, financial managers, training and development specialists, community and social service specialists, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives and lawyers.
The Major employers in Lewiston are provided below:
- St Joseph Regional Medical Center
- Independent School District 1
- Alliant Techsystems Inc
- Regence Blueshield of Idaho Inc
- Lewis-Clark State College
- City of Lewiston
- Clearwater Paper Corporation
- Happy Day Corporation
- TPC Holdings Inc
- Northwest Children's Home Inc
- Alternative Nursing Services
- County of Nez Perce
- Adcope LLC
- Tribune Publishing
- Valley Medical Center PLLC
- Lewis-Clark Early Childhood Program Inc
Noteworthy data regarding Lewiston: The cost of living index in 2008 was at 87.3 which is less than the national average of 100. About 20% of the adult population has a bachelor's degree or better. In 2009 the average salary in Lewiston was $29,000.
Lewiston companies have access to helpful business organizations such as:
- Lewiston Chamber of Commerce
- Clearwater Economic Development Association
- Idaho Small Business Development Center
The Lewiston Tribune offers current information about the business endeavors in Lewiston.