Introduction to Antioch, Illinois
Antioch was originally inhabited by the Pottawatomi Indians, who occupied the area until 1832. The first permanent white settlers of the area were the Gage brothers, who built a cabin on Sequoit Creek. Antioch was officially founded by the Disciples of Christ and the village adopted its present name in 1843. Antioch was incorporated as a village in 1892.
Antioch and nearby Attractions
- Chain O'Lakes State Park
- Fort Hill Heritage Museum
- Logic Puzzle Museum
- Richard Bong State Recreation Area
- Deerfield Historic Village
- Volo Bog State Natural Area
Things To Do In Antioch
Antioch is home to the Redwing Slough Forest Preserve. Other area attractions include the Deerfield Historic Village, the Racine Art Museum, Cuneo Museum & Gardens, the Lake County Discovery Museum, and the Chester Gould Dick Tracy Museum. The Chain O'Lakes State Park, Moraine Hills State Park, Big Foot Beach State Park, and Illinois Beach State Park offer a wide variety of recreational opportunities. The Antioch Golf Club is also nearby. Antioch hosts the Octoberfest every year.
Air transportation is available from the General Mitchell International Airport.
Antioch Higher Education
College of Lake County, McHenry County College, and Gateway Technical College provide programs for higher studies.