Introduction to Lincolnwood, Illinois
This area was originally inhabited by the Potawatomi Indians, who vacated it after the Indian Boundary Treaty of 1816. The earliest European settler was Johann Tess, who purchased 30 acres of land in this area and settled down with his family in 1856. Initially, Lincolnwood was named after him. In 1911, the area was incorporated as the Village of Tessville. It went on to form a reputation for drinking and gambling, but the election of Henry A. Proesel changed that. He made efforts to regulate the sales of liquor and changed the name to Lincolnwood in 1936.
Lincolnwood and nearby Attractions
- Bryn Mawr Country Club
- Lincolnwood Town Center
- Lincoln Park
- Skokie Heritage Museum
- Irish American Heritage Center
- Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center
Things To Do In Lincolnwood
The Village of Lincolnwood has a recreation department which regularly organizes a variety of entertainment and cultural programs. The village also has 13 parks that are spread across 34 acres of land. These parks offer facilities like baseball diamonds, tennis courts, a community center and an outdoor pool. County forest preserves are nearby and offer picnic areas, bike trails and golf courses.
Chicago O’Hare International Airport is the nearest major airport.
Lincolnwood Higher Education
Northeastern Illinois University, National-Louis University and the School of Art Institute of Chicago are institutes offering opportunities for higher studies.