Introduction to Matteson, Illinois
The village of Matteson was established in 1848 by Frederick Illgen, who bought 40 acres of land from the government and laid the foundation stone. The town was named after the tenth Governor of Illinois, Joel A. Matteson. The first group of settlers who arrived at Matteson were mostly German immigrants. In 1855, Charles Ohlendorf was the first homeowner, the first merchant and the first postmaster of the region. In 1860, the first school was built in the village. In 1876, a new village hall was built and the school building added another story.
Matteson and nearby Attractions
- Hoosier Prairie State Nature Preserve
- Lincoln Mall
- Matteson Historical Museum
- William W. Powers State Recreation Area
Things To Do In Matteson
Matteson presents many entertainment options for its visitors. The Lincoln Mall, one of the shopping centers in the area, and the Matteson Auto Mall, the largest group of car dealerships in Illinois, are located close to the village. Hoosier Prairie State Nature Preserve, located nearby, provides plenty of opportunities to view and photograph various kinds of animals and birds in their natural habitats. The Matteson Historical Museum is a great place to study the history of the village in a detailed manner. William W. Powers State Recreation Area provides options for various outdoor sports and picnicking.
Chicago Midway Airport is nearby.
Matteson Higher Education
Higher educational opportunities are provided by the ITT Technical Institute, Governors State University, and Prairie State College.