Introduction to Mundelein, Illinois
The Potowatami Indians were among the early inhabitants of this area. The settlement can be dated back to 1650 when these Indians carried out fur trading operations with the French. The European settlers arrived in this area in the early 1800s. Peter Shaddle is known to be the first settler in this region. Tradesmen came to this place in an attempt to flee from England's industrial depression. They later took up farming as an occupation but, in honor of their earlier professions, called the area "Mechanic's Grove". Later on, the name "Holcomb" was adopted and gradually a railway station and post office were established. February of 1909 saw the incorporation of the area under a new name, "Rockefeller." This place went through more name changes and finally began to be called "Mundelein" after George William Mundelein, the archbishop of Chicago.
Mundelein and nearby Attractions
- Deerfield Historic Village
- Fremont Public Library
- Cuneo Museum & Gardens
- Loch Lomond
- Pine Meadows Golf Course
- Leo Leathers Park
Things To Do In Mundelein
The Deerfield Historic Village is near the village of Mundelein. This museum's campus has the early 19th century Caspar Ott Log House which is considered to be the oldest building in Lake County. Visitors interested in the cultural and historical background of the village can also take a trip to Cuneo Museum & Gardens, Fort Hill Heritage Museum, or visit the local public library. The Allanson Industrial Park and the Pine Meadows Golf Course are worth visiting. One can also visit Loch Lomond, a beautiful reservoir located in the village. In Addition, the parks offer a range of recreational facilities to be enjoyed by both adults and children.
Chicago O’Hare International Airport is the nearest airport.
Mundelein Higher Education
University of Saint Mary of the Lake is the local institute offering higher educational opportunities. Other colleges and universities close by include College of Lake County, William Rainey Harper College, and Trinity International University.