Introduction to Shorewood, Illinois
Shorewood was originally known as Troy. Horace Haff, from Troy, New York, was the first European settler in the community. He arrived in 1830 and suggested naming the community West Troy. The village began as a small resort and fishing community. In 1926, Albert H. Bruning purchased farmland from Anna and Richard Meyer. He sold small portions of the land after subdividing it for summer cottages. The Shorewood Beach Improvement Association filed a certificate of incorporation in 1931. Shorewood was officially incorporated as a village in 1957.
Shorewood and nearby Attractions
- American Police Center and Museum
- Heidecke State Fish and Wildlife Area
- DuPage Children's Museum
- Millennium Park
- Farnsworth House
Things To Do In Shorewood
The Statesville Haunted Prison and the Illinois State Museum Lockport Gallery are popular local recreational spots. The Shorewood Plaza Shopping Center is the local shopping mall. Local museums include the Lemont Area Historical Society & Museum, the Matteson Historical Museum, the Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture and Design, the Balzekas Museum of Lithuanian Culture, the DuPage Children's Museum and the Tinley Park Historical Society and Museum. The Brookfield Zoo and the Cosley Zoo are nearby as well.
Chicago Midway International is the local airport.
Shorewood Higher Education
Wheaton College, Joliet Junior College and Benedictine University are some of the nearby colleges and universities.