The major employment sectors in Bloomington Indiana are educational services, healthcare, social services, tourism, manufacturing, accommodation and food services and professional scientific and technical services. Approximately 32% of the workforce is employed in management, professional and related occupations. The region's two largest employers are Crane Naval Base and Indiana University.
Shown below is a list of the largest employers in the Bloomington area:
- Indiana University (Bloomington)
- Crane Naval Base
- International Outsourcing Services LLC
- Bloomington Hospital Inc
- Cook Incorporated
- Monroe County Community School Corporation
- City of Bloomington
- County of Monroe
- Cardon & Associates
- Stone Belt Arc, Inc
- Motion Control Industries, Inc
- PTS Corporation
- Hoosier Times
- Beef Corporation of America
- Hoosier Energy Rural Electric Cooperative Inc
- T I S Incorporated
- Sunrise Publications, Inc
- Cook Group Incorporated
- Baxter BioPharma Solutions
- Otis Elevator
- General Electric
Some of the most popular jobs in Bloomington Indiana where the majority of the workers are college graduates are registered nurses, teachers, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives, accountants and auditors, public relations specialists, medical and clinical laboratory technicians, graphic designers, lawyers and mechanical engineers.
Noteworthy data about Bloomington Indiana: Regarding the adult population, about 54% have a bachelor's degree or higher. In 2008 the cost of living index was at 92.2. The nation's average is 100. The average salary in 2009 was $34,000.
Bloomington Indiana companies have access to helpful business organizations including:
- Greater Bloomington Chamber of Commerce
- Bloomington Economic Development Corporation
- Indiana Economic Development Corporation
Herald Times Online.com offers current information regarding the business activities in Bloomington Indiana.