South Bend's diversified economy primarily consists of education, wholesale and retail trade, healthcare and government. Notre Dame University is the city's largest employer and has a significant impact on the local economy. The university also adds to the economy by partnering with local companies for research and development projects. Memorial Health Systems is the South Bend area's second largest employer. The city also includes numerous medical related businesses.
Manufacturing sectors include transportation equipment, non-electrical machinery, rubber products and plastic products. In addition, South Bend is home to the headquarters of AM General, the producer of Hummer military and special purpose vehicles. AM General is one of the major employers in the area.
The tourism industry provides a large number of jobs. Notre Dame University is a prominent tourist attraction in the area. Also, the football games played at the university significantly contribute to the economy.
The top job providing companies in the South Bend region are:
- University of Notre Dame
- South Bend Community School Corporation
- Memorial Health System
- AM General
- Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center Inc
- The Diocese of Fort Wayne/South Bend
- City of South Bend
- Martin's Supermarkets
- Penn-Harris-Madison School Corporation
- St. Joseph County
- Madison Center
- 1st Source Bank
- Indiana University South Bend
- South Bend Medical Foundation
- U.S. Postal Service
- Bayer Corporation
- Meijer, Inc
- Robert Bosch Corporation
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
- Steel Warehouse Company, Inc
- South Bend Clinic
- Press Ganey Associates, Inc
- I/N Tek - I/N Kote
South Bend's top employment sectors are:
- Educational and health services
- Trade, transportation and utilities
- Professional and business services
- Leisure and hospitality
Pertinent information about South Bend Indiana: The city has been ranked among the 40 hottest real estate markets for business by Expansion Management magazine. In 2008 the cost of living index in South Bend Indiana was at 78.2. The country's average is 100. Regarding the adult population in South Bend Indiana, about 20% earned a bachelor's degree or better. The estimated median household income in 2007 was $35,000.
Organizations offering help to South Bend businesses include:
- Chamber of Commerce of St. Joseph County
- South Bend Economic Development
- Indiana Economic Development Corporation
The newspaper South Bend Tribune is an excellent resource for local business and industry news.