Introduction to Andover, Kansas
Andover, Kansas, in Butler county, is located 11 miles E of Wichita, Kansas. The city is included in the Wichita metropolitan area.
Andover was originally named as Minneha. The area was first settled in the late 1860s. Mr. and Mrs. Ephraim Waggoner purchased the land in February 1876. The first church of the city was the United Methodist Church which was established in 1873. Charles Glancey platted the town site in February 1880 and named it as Cloud City. The first post office of the area was also established in the same year. At that time, the city was served by the St. Louis - San Francisco Railroad. On June 7, 1880, the city was renamed to Andover. It was incorporated on February 4, 1957 as Hugo Epp became the first mayor.
Andover and nearby Attractions
- Museum of World Treasures
- El Dorado State Park
- Andover Central Park
- Kansas Aviation Museum
- Exploration Place
- Wichita - Sedgwick County Historical Museum
Things To Do In Andover
Andover includes several parks including the Andover Heights Mini Park, Andover Central Park, Williamsburg Neighborhood Park, 13th Street Sports Park, and Andover Village Mini Park. Golf lovers can spend their free hours at the Andover Municipal Golf Course and Cedar Pines Golf Course. One can also shop at the Meadow Plaza Shopping Center. The city is also home to Saint Vincent de Paul Church and Andover Church. In addition, it also hosts events like Andover Spring Festival and Greater Andover Days every year.
Flights can be availed from Wichita Mid - Continent Airport.
Andover Higher Education
Friends University, Wichita State University, and Butler County Community College are some of the nearest colleges and universities.