Manufacturing is a major economic sector in Wichita, especially the manufacturing of aircraft. Jobs are provided in manufacturing industries including airplanes, outdoor recreational equipment and supplies, industrial-commercial machinery, fabricated metal products and instrumentation and controls. Other job providing manufacturing sectors are plastic and composite products, photographic equipment, meat products, chemicals, amusement rides and household appliances.
The county is one of the nation's top counties regarding concentration of manufacturing jobs and skilled labor. The area also includes numerous firms using high technology design. Healthcare is the second major economic factor and is a major employment sector. In addition, notable companies based in Wichita include Cargill Meat Solution, Coleman Company, Koch Industries and Chance Rides.
A list of the city's top job providers is shown below:
- Spirit Aero Systems - Aircraft parts
- Cessna Aircraft - Aircraft
- Raytheon Aircraft Co - Aircraft
- Hawker Beechcraft - Aircraft
- USD 259 - Wichita - Public primary education
- Via Christi Health System - Healthcare
- State of Kansas - Government
- City of Wichita - Government
- Sedwick County - Government
- Boeing Integrated Defense System - Aircraft modification
- United States Government - Government
- Bombardier Lear Jet - Aircraft
- Koch Industries
- Wichita State University
- Wesley Medical Center
- Catholic Diocese of Wichita - Primary Education
- York Intl - Johnsons Controls - Residential HVAC Equipment
- Wichita Clinic PA - Healthcare
- USD 260 Derby - Public primary education
- Cargill- Meat products
- The Coleman Company - Recreational products
Some of the occupations more common in Wichita than most other cities are aircraft structure, surfaces, rigging and systems assemblers; aerospace engineering and operations technicians; avionics technicians, aerospace engineers, pattern makers, metal and plastic; pesticide handlers, sprayers and applicators, vegetation; aircraft mechanics and service technicians; and insulation workers, mechanical.
The top non-agricultural job providing sectors in Wichita are:
- Trade, transportation and utilities
- Education and health services
- Professional and business services
- Financial activities
Pertinent information about Wichita Kansas: About 25% of the adult residents have achieved a bachelor's degree or better. The cost of living index in 2008 was 77.7 and the national average is 100. The estimated median household income in Wichita in 2007 was $43,000.
Wichita businesses collaborate with associations such as:
- Wichita Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Wichita Economic Development Coalition
- Kansas Economic Development Alliance
People interested in staying current with Wichita business activities may want to read the Wichita Business Journal.