Bowling Green is developing a more knowledge-based, technology powered economy. Bowling Green is also a commercial center. Some of the city's important companies are Fruit of the Loom, Houchen's Industries, MedioArts.com, Camping World, SCA and Holley Performance Products. The major employers for the region are Commonwealth Health Corporation, Western Kentucky University and the Warren County Board of Education. In addition, Bowling Green was ranked 14th in Forbes' list of "Best Small Places for Business."
The largest job providing sectors in Bowling Green are education, healthcare, accommodation and food services, construction, social assistance and manufacturing. About 28% of the workforce is comprised of sales and office workers. About 27% of the labor force is found in management, professional and related occupations.
Some of the most common jobs in Bowling Green where the majority of the workers are college graduates include registered nurses, teachers, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives, financial managers, social and human service assistants, physical therapists; securities, commodities, and financial services sales agents; and rehabilitation counselors.
Bowling Green's top employers are:
- Commonwealth Health Corporation
- Western Kentucky University
- Warren County Board of Education
- Fruit of the Loom, Inc
- Union Underwear Company, Inc
- Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems, Inc
- S-R of Kentucky Inc
- Bowling Green-Warren County Community
- Barren River Development Council Inc
- Hospital Corporation
- Desa LLC
- Rafferty's, Inc
- Medical Center at Bowling Green
- Camping World
- Wendys of Bowling Green Inc
- CWI, Inc
- Huish Detergents Inc
- Bowling Green Metalforming LLC
- Eagle Industries LLC
- Houchen's Industries
- Holley Performance Products
- Halton Company
- International Paper
- Trace Die Cast
- Country Oven Bakery
Pertinent data regarding Bowling Green, Kentucky: In 2007 the estimated median household income was $33,000. In 2008 the cost of living index in Bowling Green was 87.2 which is less than the nation's average of 100. Regarding the adult residents, about 27% have earned a bachelor's degree or better.
Some of the helpful business organizations for local companies are:
- Bowling Green Area Chamber of Commerce
- Kentucky Association of Manufacturers
- The Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development
The Bowling Green Daily News provides local news about business and industry.