Owensboro is the business and retail center of Western Kentucky. The top job providing sectors in Owensboro are healthcare, education, construction, manufacturing, metal and metal products, accommodation and food services and social services. Jobs are provided by manufacturing industries such as aluminum, bourbon whiskey, chemicals, high-grade steel, paper, food products, furniture, smokeless tobacco and plastics. About 27% of the labor force is comprised of management, professional and related workers. Approximately 22% of the jobs are found in sales and office occupations.
OwensboroWorks.com helps job seekers, employers and economic development officials effectively build the workforce. The services of Bluegrass State Skills Corp., are offered to new and existing businesses. The organization offers training programs such as pre-employment skill training and assessment, entry-level skills upgrade, occupational upgrade training and other types of assistance.
Owensboro's top employers are:
- Owensboro Medical Health System - Hospital
- Davies County Public Schools - School System
- US Bank Home Mortgage - Mortgage processing
- Owensboro Public Schools - Education
- Speciality Food Group - Meat processing
- Walmart - Retail
- Owensboro Community & Technical Colleges - Education
- City of Owensboro - Government
- Commonwealth of Kentucky - Government
- Unilever Foods - Ragu spaghetti sauce
- Toyotetsu Mid-America - Automotive parts
- Titan Contracting - Mechanical construction
- Swedish Match - Tobacco products
- UniFirst - Uniform distribution
- Kimberly-Clark - Paper products
- Premium Allied Tool - Metal stamping and fabricated products
- Boardwalk - Natural gas pipeline headquarters
- Owensboro Municipal Utilities - Utility
- MPD, Inc - Microwave products
- Green River District Health - Health department
- AT&T National directory call center
- Sazerac Bottling/warehouse plant of whiskey, gin, etc
Notable information regarding Owensboro Kentucky: In 2009 the average earnings in Owensboro was $27,000. In 2008 the cost of living index in the city was 81.3 which is low when compared to the country's average of 100. Regarding the adult population, approximately 18% have earned a bachelor's degree or better.
Some of the helpful organizations that work with Owensboro businesses are:
- The Greater Owensboro Chamber of Commerce
- Kentucky Association of Manufacturers
- The Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development
The Messenger-Inquirer.com provides up-to-date news about business and industry in Owensboro.