Healthcare is the predominant industry in Alexandria. Jobs are also provided by companies in light manufacturing industries such as soap, chemicals and fertilizers. Jobs are also provided in the region by Union Tank Car Company, PlastiPak and Procter & Gamble. In addition, Alexandria is a notable distribution center for livestock, timber and farm products.
The employment sectors providing a significant percentage of jobs in Alexandria are healthcare, education, accommodation and food services, government, professional, scientific and technical services and social assistance. The largest occupation group is office and administrative employees.
The Central Louisiana Business Incubator offers a variety of services and resources for new companies. The incubator also helps existing businesses expand. An objective of the organization is to create high-paying new jobs in the region.
A list of the Alexandria region's major employers is provided below:
- Rapides Parish School District
- Rapides Healthcare System, LLC
- Rapides Regional Medical Center
- Christus Health Central Louisiana
- Martco Limited Partnership
- Parish of Rapides
- City of Alexandria
- Diocese of Alexandria
- Golden Stock Enterprises, Inc
- Afco Industries, Inc
- St. Mary's Residential Training School
- Lexington House
- The Town Talk
- Cenla Community Action, Committee, Incorporated
- Gillory Bonding Service Inc
- Bayou Health Care LLC
- Timmons International, LLC
- Ratcliff Construction Company LLC
- Red River Bank
- Central Louisiana Ambulatory Surgical Center, Inc
- Procter & Gamble
- International Paper
- Dresser Industries
- Boise Cascade
- StarTek USA
Pertinent data about Alexandria, Louisiana: Ranked by Inc. Magazine as the 77th best place to conduct business out of a list of 393 of the nation's cities. In 2008 the cost of living index in the city was 82.5 and the national average is 100. Regarding the adult population, about 20% have acquired a bachelor's degree or better. In 2007 the estimated median household income in Alexandria was $32,000.
In Alexandria, Louisiana, companies are provided assistance from associations such as:
- Central Louisiana Chamber of Commerce
- Central Louisiana Business Incubator
- Louisiana Economic Development
Those interested in staying up-to-date on Alexandria business and industry activities may want to visit the website thetowntalk.com.