Lafayette is regarded as the economic and retail center of the Acadiana area. The petroleum and gas industry is a major factor for the economy. Lafayette also has a prominent tourism industry. Lafayette's largest job providing sectors are healthcare, education, oil and gas, social assistance; arts, entertainment and recreation; professional, scientific and technical services; and accommodation and food services.
About 35% of the labor force is comprised of management, professional and related workers. About 26% of the labor force is found in sales and office occupations.
Some of the most common jobs where the majority of the workers are college graduates are registered nurses, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives, lawyers, sales managers, financial managers, petroleum engineers, pharmacists, mechanical engineers and educational, vocational and school counselors.
The following is a list of the top employers in the Lafayette region:
- School Board Lafayette Parish - Education
- Lafayette Consolidated Government - Government
- Univ of La Lafayette - Education
- Lafayette General Medical CTR - Healthcare
- Walmart Stores Inc - Retail trade
- Island Operating Company - Oil and gas
- Stuller Inc - Manufacturing
- Halliburton Energy SVC - Oil and gas
- Our Lady of Lourdes Reg Med CT - Healthcare
- Cingular Wireless - Telecommunications
- University Medical CTR - Healthcare
- Omni Energy Services, Corp - Oil and gas
- Mac-Laff Inc - Service
- Moncla Well Service Inc - Oil and gas
- Acadian Ambulance & Air Med Services Inc - Healthcare/transportation
- ESS Support Services Worldwide - Retail Trade
- The Ace Group - Transportation
- Frank's Casing Crew - Oil and gas
- Women's & Children's Hospital - Healthcare
- Lafayette Parish government - Government
Pertinent data about Lafayette, Louisiana: Approximately 31% of the residents over the age of 25 have earned a bachelor's degree or better. In 2009 the average earnings in Lafayette was $35,000. In 2008 the cost of living index was at 85.9 which is less than the nation's average of 100.
Lafayette companies are able to collaborate with helpful associations including:
- Greater Lafayette Chamber of Commerce
- Lafayette Economic Development Authority
- Louisiana Association of Business and Industry
- Louisiana Economic Development
People interested in staying current with local business and industry news can visit theadvertiser.com