Plaquemine - known as the City of Hospitality, is proud of its heritage and southern hospitality. It is located along a tributary of the mighty Mississippi River. The earliest map shows Plaquemine as a settlement in 1775. It took its name from then Indian word Plakemine, which means persimmons. The city became the seat of parish government in 1835 and was incorporated in 1838.