Shreveport is regarded as the region's commercial center. The economy is primarily powered by service industries. The gaming industry is a significant part of the economy. Due to being a major medical center, many jobs are provided in healthcare. Due to Haynesville Shale, numerous jobs are expected to be provided by the natural gas industry.
The film industry is also an important element of the local economy with numerous movies being filmed in the city. In addition, Shreveport includes the Shreveport Operations A General Motors facility, which is slated to be closed before or during 2012.
The leading job providers in the Shreveport region are:
- Caddo Parish School Board
- City of Shreveport
- LSU Health Sciences Center
- Willis-Knighton Medical Center
- Veterans Administration Medical Center
- Christus Health Northern Louisiana
- Red River Entertainment of Shreveport
- Tango Transport Inc
- Red River Sanitors Inc
- Accounting Plus Solutions
- AI-Shreveport, LLC
- Emerald Correctional Management LLC
- Diocese of Shreveport
- Jean Simpson Personnel Services Inc
- Ivan Smith Furniture Co, LLC
- Griggs Enterprises Inc
- Libbey Glass, Inc
- The ARC of Caddo-Bosier
- AEP Southwestern Electric Power Company
- Securitas USA
Some of the most common jobs filled by those with college degrees are registered nurses, teachers, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives, medical and health services managers, lawyers, managers, social and human service assistants; medical and clinical laboratory technologists; educational, vocational and school counselors; and pharmacists.
The largest job providing sectors in Shreveport are:
- Accommodation and food services
- Educational services
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Arts, entertainment and recreation
- Finance and insurance
Pertinent data about Shreveport, Louisiana: The estimated median household income in 2007 was $33,000. The cost of living index in the city in 2008 was at 82.7 which is lower than the nation's average of 100. Regarding the population over the age of 25, approximately 22% have a bachelor's degree or higher.
Local companies are invited to work with useful associations including:
- Greater Shreveport Chamber of Commerce
- Louisiana Association of Business and Industry
- Louisiana Economic Development
Those interested in local business and industry news may want to visit shreveporttimes.com.