Introduction to Skowhegan, Maine
Skowhegan was once inhabited by the Norridgewock tribe of Abenaki Indians. The town derived its name from an Algonquian term meaning "place to watch fish" and "waiting place." It was first settled in by Europeans in 1773. At that time, it was a part of Canaan. The town was incorporated on February 5, 1823 and was named Milburn. However it was renamed Skowhegan in 1836. In 1871, it became the county seat of Somerset County.
Skowhegan and nearby Attractions
- Skowhegan History House
- Sampsons Shopping Center
- Redington Museum
- Lake Saint George State Park
- Nowetah's American Indian Museum
- Edward Arlington Robinson House
Things To Do In Skowhegan
The Skowhegan Village Shopping Center, Sampsons Shopping Center, and the Village Plaza Mall Shopping Center are some of the local shopping centers. Each year, the town celebrates the Fall Festival, the Skowhegan State Fair, the Arts and Air Fest and Harvest Days.
Air transportation is available from Bangor International Airport.
Skowhegan Higher Education
The University of Maine at Augusta, the University of Maine and the University of Southern Maine offer higher educational facilities.