Introduction to Standish, Maine
The Sokokis Abenaki Indians used the area now covered by the Town of Standish as their hunting and fishing ground. The land was granted to Captain Humphrey Hobbs and Captain Moses Pearson in 1750. The town was incorporated on November 30, 1785. It was named after Captain Myles Standish, the pioneer of Plymouth Colony. The Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad first entered the region in 1870 and helped Standish become a popular recreational area.
Standish and nearby Attractions
- Daniel Marrett House
- Sebago Lake State Park
- Old Orchard Beach
- Funtown USA - Splashtown
- Children's Museum of Maine
- Crescent Beach State Park
Things To Do In Standish
While in Standish, one can visit the Steep Falls Wildlife Management Area. The town also offers easy access to the Children's Museum of Maine, the Willowbrook Museum Village, the Portland Harbor Museum, the Two Lights State Park and Ferry Beach State Park. The Daniel Marrett House Museum and the Kathleen and Daniel Wellehan Library are also worth visiting. Golfers can enjoy their leisure hours at the Frye Island Golf Course.
Portland International is the nearest major airport.
Standish Higher Education
Saint Joseph’s College is located in the town. The University of Southern Maine and the University of New England-University Campus are also close by.