Introduction to Ayer, Massachusetts
Originally an agricultural community, the first mill was built in Ayer in 1667. The Nipmuc Indians, the first inhabitants, called the area Nainacocius. The town, originally part of Groton, was also known as Groton Junction and South Groton. In 1871, it was incorporated as the town of Ayer. It was named for Dr. James Cook Ayer, who was a patent-medicine manufacturer who provided the funds to construct the Ayer Town Hall.
Ayer and Nearby Attractions
- Hands on Art Museum
- Oxbow National Wildlife Refuge
- Wyman's Beach
- Shirley Historical Society Museum
- Willard Brook State Forest
- Nashoba Valley Ski Area
Things To Do In Ayer
The Ayer Library and the Hands on Art Museum are not far from Ayer. The Oxbow National Wildlife Refuge is also only a short distance away by the Nashua River. The Shirley Historical Society Museum, Discovery Museums, Middlesex Canal Museum, and Fruitland Museums are some of the areas museums. Local parks include the Wachusett Mountain State Reservation, the Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge, the Marshall State Forest, and the Silver Lake State Park.
Worcester Regional Airport is a major airport in close proximity.
Ayer Higher Education
The closest colleges to Ayer are Middlesex Community College, Fitchburg State College, and Brandeis University.