Introduction to Cohasset, Massachusetts
Captain John Smith first saw the area now known as the town of Cohasset in 1614, when he was exploring the coast of New England. It was first settled in 1670 as a part of Hingham and was called Hingham's Second Parish. The town, which was incorporated as Cohasset in 1770, derived its named from an Algonquian term "Conahasset," which means "long rocky place." It became a part of Norfolk County in 1793.
Cohasset and Nearby Attractions
- Maritime Museum
- Black Rock Beach
- Whitney Woods Reservation
- Wompatuck State Park
- Caleb Lothrop House
Things To Do In Cohasset
Cohasset has several beaches which include the Black Rock Beach, Pleasant Beach, and Sandy Beach. The Cohasset Historical Society Museum, the Maritime Museum, the Caleb Lothrop House, and the Captain John Wilson Historic House provide information and artifacts of the area's history. Golfers may enjoy a game at the Cohasset Golf Club. Local shopping destinations include the Tedeschi Shopping Center, the Cushing Plaza Shopping Center, and the Cohasset Plaza Shopping Center. The town organizes the Arts Festival every year in June.
General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport is nearby.
Cohasset Higher Education
The colleges closest to Cohasset include Quincy College, University of Massachusetts - Boston, and Massasoit Community College.