The prominent industries in Pittsfield, Massachusetts are healthcare, plastics, business services and the insurance industry. The city also serves as a tourist base for the surrounding area.
Pittsfield's major job providing sectors are healthcare, educational services, accommodation and food services, social services, manufacturing, finance and insurance; and professional, scientific and technical services. Approximately 30% of the labor force is found in management, professional and related occupations. About 26% of the labor force works in sales and office occupations.
Some of the most popular jobs filled primarily by those with college degrees include teachers, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives; child, family and school social workers; social and human service assistants; rehabilitation counselors, financial managers, civil engineers and social and community service managers.
The following is a list of Pittsfield's significant employers:
- KB Holdings, Inc
- Sabic Innovative Plastics US LLC
- General Dynamics Defense Systems, Inc
- Senior Care Management Services
- Berkshire Medical Center, Inc
- Pittsfield Public School District
- Lander, Inc
- Fairview Extended Care Services
- Hillcrest Foundation
- SABIC - Innovative Plastics
- Chemex Corporation
- General Systems
- Laurin Publishing
- Annie Selke Companies
- Berkshire Bank
- Berkshire Eagle
- Berkshire Life Insurance Company of America
- Petrica Industries
- Pittsfield Public Schools
Notable data regarding Pittsfield, Massachusetts: The estimated median household income in the city in 2007 was $43,000. Regarding the adult residents, approximately 21% have a bachelor's degree or higher. The cost of living index in 2008 was 88.4 which is less than the country's average of 100.
Pittsfield companies can team up with helpful organizations such as:
- Berkshire Chamber of Commerce
- Downtown Pittsfield Inc
- Massachusetts Economic Development Council
- MassEcon: Massachusetts Alliance for Economic Development
Berkshire Eagle Online provides up-to-date local business and industry news.