The largest employment industries in Ann Arbor Michigan are education, healthcare, manufacturing, information technology, automotive and biomedical research. Notable factors of the economy include life sciences, nanotechnologies, computer and data processing, business services, high-speed Internet services and instrument development.
The University of Michigan is the largest employer. The city is also home to research and engineering centers. Ann Arbor is the western anchor of the region's high-technology corridors.
Ann Arbor's software companies provide a notable amount of the computer programming and devices used by the auto industry. The area is also a significant factor in trade and information publishing as well as book printing and manufacturing.
The following is a list of the Ann Arbor region's top employers:
- University of Michigan
- University of Michigan Health Centers
- General Motors Corp/Powertrain Division
- St. Joseph Mercy Hospital
- Pfizer Global Research and Development
- Eastern Michigan University
- Borders Group
- Con-Way Freight, Inc
- Domino's Pizza Inc
- Affina Group Inc
- Kaydon Corporation
- Prestolite Electric Holding, Inc
- Voyager Learning Company
- Washentaw County
- Arbor Networks
Some of Ann Harbor's most popular jobs which are filled by college graduates are registered nurses, mechanical engineers, teachers, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives, computer programmers, computer systems analysts, managers, network and computer systems administrators, computer software engineers, systems software; industrial engineers, computer software engineers, applications; and sales managers.
The major sectors providing jobs for the labor force include:
- Trade, transportation and utilities
- Professional and business services
- Leisure and hospitality
Some of the helpful business organizations for local companies are:
- Ann Arbor Area Chamber of Commerce
- City of Ann Arbor: Economic Development Corporation
- Michigan Economic Development Corporation
- Michigan Small Business & Technology Development Center
MLive.com provides Ann Arbor business and industry news.