Introduction to Brighton, Michigan
Brighton, Michigan, in Livingston county, is 18 miles N of Ann Arbor, Michigan (center to center) and 39 miles W of Detroit, Michigan.
Brighton, in Livingstone County, was initially part of Green Oak Township. In April of 1838, Brighton separated from Green Oak Township to form its own existence. The first person to purchase land in present day Brighton was Hugh Alexander, in December 1833, but the original settler was actually Elijah Marsh in 1832. A post office was established during this time, and Elijah Marsh was the postmaster.
Brighton and Nearby Attractions
- Plymouth Historical Museum
- W.J. Beal Botanical Garden
- Island Lake Recreation Area
- Historic Fort Wayne
- Motorsports Hall of Fame
Things To Do In Brighton
Museums nearby include Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum, Plymouth Historical Museum, and Motorsports Hall of Fame, all of which have a variety of antiquities on display. Island Lake Recreation Area offers provisions for recreational activities, like canoeing, and boating. Huron Meadows Metropark has a golf course, hiking trails, and nature trails. W.J. Beal Botanical Garden displays a diverse array of plant species.
Air transportation is available from Oakland County International Airport.
Brighton Higher Education
Colleges and universities located near Brighton are the University of Michigan, Washtenaw Community College, Eastern Michigan University, and Madonna University.