The Detroit area is synonymous with the American automotive industry and is home to the big thee automobile makers General Motors Corporation, Ford Motor Company,and DaimlerChrysler. Volkswagen of America is also based in the area. Other major industry segments in the Detroit area include:
- City and local government
- Financial services
- Research and development
- Casino gaming
Emerging industries include:
- Information technology
- Hydrogen fuel cell development
The Detroit area is home to many Fortune 1000 companies. The largest company in the area is General Motors.Fortune 1000 companies in the Detroit metropolitan area include:
- American Axle & Mfg.
- DTE Energy
- Ford Motor
- General Motors
- TRW Automotive Holdings
Other companies with headquarters or a significant presence in the Detroit area include:
- Electronic Data Systems
- Ernst & Young
- Little Caesars
Business awards given to the Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn metropolitan area include:
- The Detroit area was ranked 29th among the top fifty "Hot Cities for Entrepreneurs" among large cities and metropolitan areas in the United States in a 2005 Entrepreneur magazine survey.
- The Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn metropolitan area ranked 59th among top U.S. Cities on Inc. magazine's 2006 survey of the "Best Cities for Doing Business" (out of 393 metropolitan areas across the United States).
- The Detroit area was ranked a "Five Star Business Opportunity Metro" by Expansion Management magazine in a 2005 survey.
For the business commuter, the Detroit area is served by by no fewer than nine highways and freeways, bus services by the Detroit Department of Transportation (DDOT), and the the Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation (SMART) for service to the suburbs. For air travel, the Detroit area is served by the Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTE). DTE is the eleventh busiest airport in the United States measured by passenger volume. It is also a hub for Northwest Airlines and Spirit Airlines.
Business/economic development organizations in the greater Detroit area include:
- The Dearborn Chamber of Commerce
- The Detroit Convention and Visitors Bureau
- The Detroit Economic Growth Corporation
- The Detroit Regional Chamber
- The Livonia Chamber of Commerce
Crain's Detroit Business, the "Business Section" of the Detroit Free Press, and the "Business Section" of the Detroit News are all good sources for news on the economy and business community in the Detroit area.