Jackson's leading employment segments are trade, transportation and utilities; the government, manufacturing, education, healthcare, and leisure and hospitality. About 23% of the labor force is comprised of production, transportation and material moving workers. Approximately 21% of the workforce is found in management, professional and related occupations. The city also has numerous plastics workers and metal and metal products workers.
Notable industries in the region include imaging and optics, telecommunications, high-technology, medical manufacturing, and printing and publishing. In addition, research is done by companies as well as medical facilities and educational institutions in fields such as digital imaging, fuel cells, biotech and health imaging.
The significant employers in the Jackson region are provided below:
- CMS Energy Corporation - Energy provider
- Allegiance Health - Healthcare
- Foote Health System - Healthcare/hospice
- Michigan Department of Corrections - Correctional institutions
- Consumers Energy - Utilities
- Michigan Automotive Compressor - Automotive parts
- City of Jackson - Government
- Meijer, Inc - Department store
- Jackson Public Schools - Education
- Eaton Corp - Aircraft parts and equipment
- Walmart - Department store
- TAC Manufacturing - Steering wheel assemblies
- Jackson Community College - Education
- Jackson County Intermediate School Dist - Education
- Michigan Seat Co/Jackson Canvas - Seats (Agri./ind.)
- TRW Inc - Disc Brakes
- Great Lakes Home Health & Hospice - Home Health/Hospice
- Mac Steel Div. of Quanex - Alloy steel
- Melling Tool Company - Tools
- CertainTeed Corp/Wolverine Vinyl Siding - Vynl siding
- Alro Steel Corp - Steel Service Center
- Dawn Food Products - Flour mixes/equipment
The following is a list of high-tech employers located in the Jackson Michigan region:
- US Com Inc - Telecommunications
- Sparton - Electronic manufacturing
- Eagle Communications - Satellite Antenna Systems
- Tenneco Automotive - Engineering and research
- McGilvra Engineering Inc - Electronics
- Commonwealth Associates, Inc - Electrical Engineering
Some of the most popular jobs in Jackson filled by college graduates are teachers, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives, electrical engineers, coaches and scouts, mechanical engineers; child, family and school social workers; financial managers, network and computer systems administrators; and medical and health services managers.
Pertinent information about Jackson, Michigan: In 2007 the estimated median household income was $31,000. The cost of living index in 2008 was at 79.2 which is lower than the nation's average of 100. About 14% of the adult population has a bachelor's degree or higher.
Local companies have opportunities to team up with helpful organizations such as:
- Greater Jackson Chamber of Commerce
- The Enterprise Group of Jackson, Inc
- Jackson Area Manufacturers Association
- Michigan Economic Development Corporation
- Michigan Small Business & Technology Development Center
Those interested in staying current with Jackson Michigan business activities may want to read the Jackson Citizen Patriot.