Kalamazoo has a diversified economy which includes the production of items such as automotive testing equipment and hydraulic systems, pharmaceutical and medical products, machinery, metal products, guitars, paper products and cereals. In addition, financial services are an integral part of the economy. Western Michigan University is a major employer and is also a significant economic factor in the area.
Kalamazoo is home to Eaton Corporation's North American truck component headquarters. Checker Motors is also based in Kalamazoo. Pfizer has offices, manufacturing facilities and research labs in the city.
Kalamazoo includes a diverse workforce. The are's colleges help job seekers through training and placement programs in collaboration with local companies. Significant job providing sectors include trade, transportation and utilities; healthcare, education, manufacturing, government, professional and business services; leisure and hospitality and biotechnology.
Western Michigan University's Business Technology and Research Park includes the Southwest Michigan Innovation Center. The university attracts information technology, advanced engineering and life sciences companies to the area.
Noteworthy information about Kalamazoo Michigan: The estimated median household income in 2007 was $30,000. In 2008 the cost of living index in Kalamazoo was at 83.9. The nation's average is 100. Regarding the adult population, 32.7% have achieved a bachelor's degree or better.
Kalamazoo's leading job providers are:
- Western Michigan University - Education
- Borgess Medical Center - Healthcare
- Pfizer - Pharmaceuticals, chemicals and urethanes
- Bronson Methodist Hospital - Healthcare
- Stryker Medical Technology - Surgical and hospital equipment
- Kalamazoo Public Schools - Education
- National City Bank - Banking & financial services
- Summit Polymers Inc - Injection molded thermo-plastics
- Meijer, Inc - Retail goods and household products
- Portage Public Schools - Education
- County of Kalamazoo - Government
- City of Kalamazoo - Government
- Kalamazoo Valley Comm. College - Education
- United States Postal Service - Government
- State Farm Insurance Claims - Insurance
- Target Distribution - Distribution Consultant
- Eaton Corporation - Automotive parts distributor
- Walmart - Retail goods and household products
- Flowserve Corp - Fluid sealing systems
- Graphic Packaging - Recycled paperboard/folding cartons
Some of the organizations providing assistance to local companies are:
- The Kalamazoo Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Downtown Kalamazoo Inc
- Michigan Economic Development Corporation
- Michigan Small Business & Technology Development Center
People interested in staying up-to-date with local business activities can read the local newspaper the Kalamazoo Gazette.