Gulfport is an important business and commercial hub. The region has a wide mix of businesses including manufacturing, healthcare research, pharmaceuticals and technology. Gulfport also has shipbuilding companies such as Gulf Ship, United States Marine and Trinity Yachts.
The major employment sectors in Gulfport are construction; arts, entertainment and recreation; healthcare, accommodation and food services, government, education and social assistance. Management, professional and related occupations (24% of the workforce). Sales and office occupations (19% of the labor force).
Interesting details about Gulfport, Mississippi: In 2008 the cost of living index in Gulfport was 85.9. The country's average is 100. The average earnings of workers in Gulfport in 2009 was $31,000. In the city, 19% of the adult population have a bachelor's degree or higher.
Provided below are the top manufacturing/distribution employers in the Gulfport area:
- ANI Pharmaceuticals
- Blacklidge Emulsions, Inc
- Fansteel Hydro Carbide
- F.E.B. Distributing Company, Inc
- FedEx Ground Distribution Center
- Future Pipe Industries
- Goldin Industries, Inc
- Gulf Ship LLC
- Hartson-Kennedy Cabinet Top Company, Inc
- John Fayard Moving & Warehousing
- Keith Huber Inc
- Northrop Grumman Ship Systems
- Rex Distributing Company, Inc
- Seemann Composites
- Soprema, Inc
- Sun Herald
- Taber Extrusions L.P., Mississippi Division
- Trinity Yachts
- United States Marine, Inc
Some of the helpful organizations for Gulfport businesses are:
- Gulfport Chamber of Commerce
- Harrison County Development Commission
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Alliance for Economic Development
- Mississippi Economic Development Council
Gulfport's newspaper the Sun Herald is a good resource for local business and industry news.