Introduction to Senatobia, Mississippi
Senatobia, Mississippi, in Tate county, is located 37 miles S of Memphis, Tennessee.
In 1834, James Peters bought land from the Chickasaw Nation. This land became the town of Senatobia, which was so named by Charles Meriwether. The word Senatobia means "white sycamore." Senatobia became a railroad station with the emergence of the Tennessee and Mississippi Railroad. The railroad influenced growth in Senatobia.
Senatobia and nearby Attractions
- Senatobia Plaza Shopping Center
- John W. Kyle State Park
- Saint Gregory’s Catholic Church
Things To Do In Senatobia
Tourists can visit the John W. Kyle State Park and the Wall Doxey State Park for various types of recreation they offer. The Senatobia Plaza Shopping Center as well as the East Side Shopping Center are perfect places to shop at. The Cromecraft Lake is the ideal place for nature lovers. Elvis Presley fans should visit the historical site Graceland, which was the former home of the famous singer. Saint Gregory’s Catholic Church, Church of Christ and Senatobia Christian Church are also worth taking a look around.
Travelers can board a flight from the Memphis International Airport.
Senatobia Higher Education
Northwest Mississippi Community College is located in Senatobia. Other higher education institutes nearby include University of Mississippi Main Campus, Southwest Tennessee Community College-Macon Campus, and University of Memphis.