Introduction to Farmington, Missouri
Farmington, Missouri, in St Francois county, is located 59 miles S of St. Louis, Missouri.
Located in Saint Francisco County, the city of Farmington was discovered by American William Murphy, who arrived in the area in 1789. It came to be known as Murphy’s Settlement in 1817. The settlement became a town after the Louisiana Purchase and was named Farmington in 1825. The town was incorporated in 1836. Due to fast development in education, business and technology, the town gained the status of a city in 1981.
Farmington and nearby Attractions
- Elephant Rocks State Park
- Taum Sauk Mountain State Park
- Millstream Gardens Conservation Area
- Louis Bolduc House
- Cape River Heritage Museum
- Farmington Water Park
Things To Do In Farmington
Elephant Rocks State Park and the Taum Sauk Mountain State Park offer opportunities for swimming, camping, boating and picnicking. Museums include the Cape River Heritage Museum and the Heritage House Museum, which displays memorabilia from the city’s past. Farmington has two golf courses, St. Francois Country Club and Eagle and Lake Golf Club.
Lambert-Saint Louis International Airport is nearby.
Farmington Higher Education
Nearby colleges and universities include East Central College, Jefferson College, Mineral Area College and Southeast Missouri State University.