An Introduction to Jefferson City, Missouri
Jefferson City is the capital of Missouri and is situated in Cole County. It's located near the northern outskirts of the Ozarks and along the Missouri River. The city was given its name in tribute to President Thomas Jefferson. The area was incorporated as a city in 1839.
The region was originally inhabited by natives known as the Mound Builders. After the community disappeared the area became home to the Osage Indians. In 1682 an explorer named LaSalle entered the region and claimed the territory for France. During the 1800's the frontiersman Daniel Boone established the Boone's Lick Trail. Later, the city was designed by Daniel Morgan Boone who was the son of the noteworthy frontiersman.
In 1821 Jefferson City was selected to be the home of the state capital. Industries in the area such as grist mills, distilleries, flour mills and tanneries began to thrive. The arrival of the Civil War brought contentious debates regarding whether or not slavery would still be allowed in the state of Missouri and if the state should leave the Union. In the end, the state assembly decided that Missouri would remain in the Union. There was a brief battle with Confederate troops but the Union soldiers managed to keep control of Jefferson City.
- The Missouri Governor's Mansion is a popular attraction. The home has a Victorian appearance and features antique furnishings.
- The Lohman Building is recognized as the oldest building in the city and is included in the Jefferson Landing State Historic Site.
- Graham Cave State Park was occupied by humans more than 10,000 years ago. Tours are provided for visitors. The cave is surrounded by a forest area and provides hiking trails and picnic areas.
- The Missouri State Capitol Building.
- Missouri State Museum.
- Jefferson Landing Historic Site.
- Cole County Historical Museum.
- Runge Nature Center
- The Missouri Veterinary Museum
- Museum of Missouri Military History
Jefferson City is home to Lincoln University. It was originally established to provide education for African American students by combining academics and work. In 1954 the college was open to students of all races. The university is comprised of:
- College of Business and Professional Studies
- College of Liberal Arts, Education and Journalism
- College of Natural Science, Mathematics and Technology, Cooperative Extension and Research
- School of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education