Portsmouth is a prominent commercial center in New England. The region is regarded as a high-tech hub and has light manufacturing industries. In addition, the city includes numerous computer specialists. Tourism is another significant economic element for Portsmouth.
Portsmouth was included in Cosmopolitan Magazine's top ten list of the best places to live and work in the country. The city has also been included in Money Magazine's list of top 10 best places to live in the country.
Notable details about Portsmouth, New Hampshire: In 2007 the estimated median household income was $59,000. In Portsmouth, 42% of the adult residents have achieved a bachelor's degree or better. In 2008 the cost of living index was at 126.8 which is high when compared to the nation's average of 100.
There are numerous occupations more common in Portsmouth than most other cities including nuclear engineers, engineering technicians, metal workers and plastic workers, office and administrative support workers, electrical and electronic repairers for commercial and industrial equipment, financial specialists, and chefs and head cooks.
The leading employers in Portsmouth are shown below:
- Orion Seafood International, Inc
- High Liner Foods (USA) Incorporated
- Bottomline Technologies (DE), Inc
- Seatrade International Co, Inc
- Commonwealth Dynamics, Inc
- Newmarket International, Inc
- Service Federal Credit Union
- Alpha Flying, Inc
- Path Lab Holdings Inc
- Fastasset, Inc
- Synergetics Installations Worldwide Inc
- Liquid PC, Inc
- Rockingham Electrical Supply Company, Inc
- Bournival Inc
- Northeast Credit Union
- Sterling Capital Corp
The top fields for employment in Portsmouth:
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Educational services
- Finance and insurance
- Accommodation and food services
Nashua businesses that are seeking assistance can contact:
- Greater Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce
- New Hampshire's State Chamber of Commerce
- New Hampshire Manufacturing Trade Associations
Seacoast Online is a good resource for those interested in staying current with the local business community.