The convention and tourism industries are major contributors to Atlantic City's economy. The city includes numerous gambling casinos/hotels which attract millions of visitors on a yearly basis. Although a large part of the city's economic development is based on the casinos, the local government is striving to diversify the economy by developing recreational attractions such as retail shopping, theaters, night clubs and theme restaurants.
Other industries that are notable parts of the economy include real estate development, arts and entertainment, accommodation and food services, education, and health and social services. Goods produced in Atlantic City that provide jobs include clothing, boats, bottles and glassware, chinaware and hosiery.
The gaming industry is a major employer. Other major employment sectors are leisure and hospitality, the government, trade, transportation and utilities, educational and health services, professional and business services, construction and manufacturing. Service occupations (42% of the workforce). Sales and office occupations (19% of the labor force).
The New Jersey Economic Development Authority provides a variety of real estate development, financial and technical services to businesses. The majority of the help is provided to small and medium sized companies.
Notable details about Atlantic City, New Jersey: In 2009 the average salary in Atlantic City was $25,000. In 2008 the cost of living index in Atlantic City was at 107.3 which is higher than the national average of 100. Regarding the adult population, 10% have earned a bachelor's degree or higher.
Atlantic City's leading job providers:
- Atlantic City Hilton Casino Resort
- Bally's Atlantic City
- Borgata Casino Hotel & Spa
- Marina District Development Company, LLC
- Trump Plaza Associates, A New Jersey General Partnership
- Harrah's Atlantic City Operating Company, LLC
- Trump Marina Hotel & Casino Inc
- R I H Acquisitions NJ LLC
- Resorts International Hotel Financing Inc
- Marina Associates LTD
- Atlantic City Showboat Inc
- Ace Gaming, LLC
- Harrah's New Jersey, Inc
- City of Atlantic City
- Atlanticare Regional Medical Center, Inc
- Federal Aviation Administration
- Trump Taj Mahal Associates, LLC
- Showboat Casino Hotel
- Tropicana Casino & Resort
Atlantic City companies have access to helpful organizations including:
- Atlantic City Chamber of Commerce
- New Jersey Economic Development Authority
- New Jersey Small Business Development Centers
The Press of Atlantic City provides readers with up-to-date information regarding the local business community.