Newark Colleges and Schools
From shows at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center to premium shopping available at outlets, Newark, N.J. provides plenty for students to enjoy in terms of entertainment, shopping and deals. But there also are cherry blossoms to see in bloom every spring at Newark's Branch Brook Park and shows and sports events to attend at Prudential Center. Best of all for college students at Newark colleges and schools is the proximity to the hustle and bustle of Manhattan -- located just eight miles away.
Colleges in Newark, New Jersey
- Rutgers University: Right in the heart of downtown Newark, which also is New Jersey's largest city, Rutgers is home to smart classrooms, science labs, residential halls, libraries and more. Students can pursue undergraduate and graduate degrees in the arts and sciences, criminal justice, business, public administration and more as well as take classes during the winter and summer sessions.
- Seton Hall University School of Law: This school may be for you if you are interested in a career in law and want to complete your Juris Doctorate degree. A number of concentrations also are available and the school offers opportunities for externships, judicial clerkships, public service and more.
- New Jersey Institute of Technology: Known as NJIT, this institute offers a variety of degrees at the undergraduate and graduate level with some of the most popular undergraduate degrees including architecture, computer science and engineering. There also are opportunities for continuing and professional education as well as online learning.
- Essex County College: Whether its bilingual studies, the humanities, the social sciences, nursing or another discipline, students at this college can find ample learning opportunities at the undergraduate level. Computer labs, counseling services, a fitness center, and a Student Life and Activities Office help to round out the student experience.
Fun Facts about Newark Colleges
- A Community Law Clinic at Rutgers University provides services to area non-profits.
- NJIT was founded in 1881 as Newark Technical School, but renamed to NJIT in 1975.
- Essex County College covers three city blocks in Newark in the University Heights area.
- About, Rutgers University - Newark, https://www.newark.rutgers.edu/
- History and Mission, New Jersey Institute of Technology, http://www.njit.edu/about/history-mission.php
- Home, Essex Community College, http://www.essex.edu/
- Newark, Official Tourism Website of New Jersey, http://www.visitnj.org/city/newark
- Seton Hall Law, Seton Hall University, http://law.shu.edu/programs/index.cfm
Education Institutes in Newark
Total Number of Educational Institutes
Total Enrollment in all institutes
Number of Public Educational Institutes
Number of Private For-Profit Institutes
Number of Private Non-Profit Institutes
Total Graduates With Bachelors Degree
On Campus and Online Programs in Newark
Number of Institutes Offering on-campus programs
Number of Institutes Offering on-line programs
Number of Institutes Offering both
Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) 2016-17, National Center for Education Statistics, http://nces.ed.gov/ipeds/