Introduction to Brockport, New York
Brockport was established as a village in 1820, after the Erie Canal was designed. It was named Brockport after Hiel Brockway, a builder who bought large areas of land along Lake Road. Construction throughout the village began in 1822, and it was nicknamed the Red Village because of the locally produced bricks used to make the houses. Brockport was officially incorporated in 1829.
Brockport and nearby Attractions
- Big Springs Historical Society Museum
- Holland Land Office
- Black Creek Park
- Bristol Mountain
- Ellwanger Garden
- Rochester Public Market
Things To Do In Brockport
Barry Street Park, Corbett Park, Harvester Park, Utica Street Park and Remembrance Park are located in Brockport. The Big Springs Historical Society Museum, the Cobblestone Society Museum and the Holland Land Office Museum are the local museums, while the Stone-Tolan House and the Susan B. Anthony House are some of the nearby historical sites. Ellwanger Garden, Rochester Public Market and Seneca Park Zoo are all accessible from Brockport as well.
Greater Rochester International is the closest major airport.
Brockport Higher Education
SUNY Brockport is located in Brockport. Other nearby colleges and universities include Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School, Genesee Community College and Monroe Community College.