Introduction to Gastonia, North Carolina
Gastonia, North Carolina, in Gaston county, is 19 miles W of Charlotte, North Carolina. Gastonia is included in the Charlotte metropolitan area. The city is home to the headquarters of Parkdale Mills, which is one of the largest producers of spun yard in the world. The municipality still includes a manufacturing workforce. Wix Filtration Corp., Freightliner LLC, Stabilus and Curtiss-Wright are some of the major companies located in the city.
Gastonia and nearby Attractions
- The Schiele Museum of Natural History features natural specimens as well as cultural artifacts. It also includes a nature trail, a farm, grist mill and a Catawba Indian Village.
- Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden is situated in a large acreage and features meadows and wooded areas.
- Belmont Abbey Players.
- Cherryville Little Theatre.
- Gaston Choral Society.
- Belmont Community Theatre.
- Gaston County Museum of Art and History is situated in the historic Hoffman Hotel and includes one of the biggest collections of carriages in the nation.
- Little Theatre of Gastonia.
- The Gastonia Grizzlies play baseball in the Coastal Plain League.
- The Gastonia Gargoyles play rugby.
- The downtown includes a large number of historic buildings.
- Carolina Harley-Davidson Museum.
The U.S. National Whitewater Center provides opportunities for whitewater rafting, kayaking and canoeing. The popular Crowder's Mountain State Park includes the notable King's Pinnacle, opportunities for fishing and several trails and campgrounds. Golf enthusiasts enjoy the area's golf courses including the Crowder's Mountain Golf Course and the Linwood Springs Golf Club. The Nearby Lake Wylie includes a marina. Fishing can be enjoyed at Robinwood Lake and Cook's Fishing Lake. King's Mountain includes a loop trail around a former battlefield site. Paramount's Carowinds Water and Theme Park features thrilling rides, concerts and special events.
Belmont Abbey College and Gaston College are nearby.
The Charlotte Area Transit System provides service to Charlotte. The Amtrak Crescent connects Gastonia with major cities including Charlotte, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Baltimore and other locations. The Charlotte/Douglas International Airport is nearby.