Introduction to High Point, North Carolina
High Point is located in Guilford County and is part of the Piedmont Triad. The city is referred to as the "Furniture Capital of the World," which is attributed to the substantial amount of furniture manufacturers and the High Point Market which is recognized as the world's biggest furnishings industry trade fair. The semi-annual market typically brings in over 100,000 exhibitors and buyers from all over the world. The city is also known for producing buses.
The early settlers in the region were primarily Quakers and Germans. Beginning with the mid-eighteenth century, High Point served as a refuge for Pennsylvania Quakers. Due to its convenient location and the arrival of the North Carolina Railroad, it became a prominent manufacturing center. The city was incorporated in 1859. During 1889 the town's first furniture making facility was opened. Textiles, tobacco and woodworking were also significant factors for the economy. The city was known for it's attractive architecture and the impressive homes of wealthy industrialists.
- Angela Peterson Doll and Miniature Museum
- Bernice Bienenstock Furniture Library features one of the largest collections of books regarding the history of furniture and interior design
- High Point Community Theatre offers musicals, comedies and dramas
- High Point Museum and Historic Park
- Historic Castle McCulloch is a 19th century English castle
- Museum of Old Domestic Life features artifacts from colonial Quaker homes
- North Carolina Shakespeare Festival
- Rosetta C. Baldwin Museum
- Theatre Art Galleries
- World's Largest Chest of Drawers
- Furniture Discovery Center simulates a modern furniture manufacturing facility and includes a variety of exhibits
- Oak Hollow Festival Park features special events
The High Point City Lake Park provides opportunities for canoeing, fishing and boating. It includes a historic carousel, a train and one of the largest outdoor swimming pools in North Carolina. The Oak Hollow Lake Park & Marina is utilized for fishing, boating and camping. There are a large number of golf courses in the region. The Greenway Trail is popular for walking and bicycle riding. Visitors enjoy participating in group tours of the furniture manufacturer's market showroom building. The Oak Hallow Mall is a well known shopping destination.
The city is served by the Piedmont Triad International Airport.
The city is home to High Point University, John Wesley College and Shaw University.