Grand Fork's economy primarily consists of healthcare, food processing, defense, manufacturing, agriculture and scientific research. The University of North Dakota is the city's largest employer and is also a significant contributor to the economy. In addition, the Grand Forks Air Force base employs a large number of civilian workers.
Altru Health System is Grand Forks' largest private employer. Wind turbine manufacturer, LM Glasfiber and small aircraft manufacturer Cirrus Design are two of the city's largest manufacturers. Amazon.com has a customer service facility in the city and is one of the regions's major employers.
Noteworthy details regarding Grand Forks, North Dakota: For the population 25 years of age and older, 30% have earned a bachelor's degree or better. In 2008 the cost of living index in the city was at 84.3. The country's average is 100. The estimated median household income in 2007 was $41,000.
Grand Forks' significant employers:
- University of North Dakota
- Grand Forks Air Force Base
- Altru Health System
- Grand Forks Public Schools
- Hugo's Stores
- City of Grand Forks
- Valley Memorial Homes
- SEI Information
- Alerus Financial
- Target Corporation
- Ecolab Inc
- Grand Forks Herald Incorporated
- North American Foods, LLC
- North Dakota Mill & Elevator Association
- Valley Markets, Incorporated
- Pribbs Steel & Mfg, Inc
- Coca-Cola Enterprises
Some of Grand Forks' most common jobs where the majority of the workers have college degrees include registered nurses, teachers, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives, social and human service assistants; educational, vocational and school counselors; medical and health services managers, coaches and scouts, and child, family and school social workers.
The top nonagricultural employment sectors for Grand Forks:
- Trade, transportation and utilities
- Educational and health services
- Leisure and hospitality
- Professional and business services
Local companies are invited to work with helpful organizations including:
- Grand Forks Chamber of Commerce
- Grand Forks Region Economic Development Corporation
- Economic Development Association of North Dakota
- North Dakota Department of Commerce Economic Development and Finance
The Grand Forks Herald offers information about local business and industry.