Introduction to North Canton, Ohio
North Canton, Ohio, in Stark county, is 5 miles N of Canton, Ohio (center to center) and 45 miles S of Cleveland, Ohio. The city is in the Canton - Massillon area. There are 16,369 residents in North Canton.
North Canton History
The modern day city of North Canton was formed as a village on February 19, 1831. At that time, it was known as the Village of New Berlin as most of its residents were from Germany. In 1873, William H. 'Boss' Hoover visited the village and moved his tannery business to this area and, around 1908, the first vacuum cleaner of the Hoover Company was manufactured here. The name of the village was changed to North Canton on January 31, 1918. It was incorporated as a city on January 1, 1962.
North Canton and nearby Attractions
- Massillon Museum
- Sippo Lake Park
- Hoover Historical Center
- McKinley Museum
- Canton Classic Car Museum
Things To Do In North Canton
You can visit the North Canton Public Library and the Hoover Historical Center to learn more about the history of the city. The city has a number of churches including North Canton Church of Christ, Saint Pauls Roman Catholic Church, Northminster Presbyterian Church, Zion United Church of Christ and Gospel Tabernacle. Leisure hours can also be spent at the amusement and theme parks of the Grand Slam USA and Courts and Cages.
North Canton Transportation
Akron - Canton Regional Airport is very close to the city.
North Canton Higher Education
The local colleges and universities are Kent State University - Stark Campus, ETI Technical College, and Walsh University.