Introduction to Sylvania, Ohio
Sylvania, Ohio, in Lucas county, is 9 miles NW of Toledo, Ohio. The city benefits from easy access to the nearby cities and towns with which it shares the Toledo metropolitan area.
In 1832, General David White acquired a significant tract of land in the eastern part of what later became known as Sylvania. Initially, there was a conflict between him and Judge William Wilson regarding the name. White wanted to call the place "Whiteford" but Wilson preferred the name "sylvania" which is the Latin for "woods or trees." On July 13, 1836, the place was officially named Sylvania. The city is now a middle-class suburb of Toledo.
Sylvania and Nearby Attractions
- Assisi Hall
- Alverno Studio
- Highland Meadows Golf Course
- King Of Glory Church
- Tenmile Creek
- Molander Park
Things To Do In Sylvania
The city of Sylvania has a number of memorial halls. Among these are the Saint Clare Hall, Carmel Hall, Lourdes Hall, Maria Hall, Assisi Hall, as well as the Rosary Care Center, Sophia Counseling Center and Franciscan Center. There are also a number of churches and cemeteries dotting the streets of the city. The Tenmile Creek in Sylvania offers provisions for fishing. The city also offers a number of amusement parks like the Champion Amusements and the Molander Park that provide recreational opportunities for adults and kids. Golf can be played at the Highland Meadows Golf Course. There are a number of shopping complexes in the cityas well.
Air transportation is provided by the Toledo Express Airport.
Sylvania Higher Education
Residents of Sylvania can attend the Lourdes College for higher education. Apart from this, there are several other institutes nearby, like the Owens Community College-Toledo Campus and the University of Toledo.