Introduction to Coweta, Oklahoma
The area that is now known as Coweta became a part of the Creek Nation when the Five Civilized Tribes were shifted to Oklahoma from the Eastern United States. The city got its name from a Creek Indian war town. The American Indians first settled in the area permanently in 1840. Robert Loughridge arrived in the area in the year 1843. He established a mission and named it "Koweta."
Coweta and nearby Attractions
- Coweta’s Mission Bell Museum and Information Center
- Coweta Public Library
- Koweta Mission Site
- Broken Arrow Historical Museum
- First Presbyterian Church of Coweta
- Safari’s Sanctuary
Things To Do In Coweta
The Golf Club of Oklahoma, Indian Springs Country Club, River Course and the Forest Ridge Golf Course offer facilities to local golfers. Local churches include the Church of Christ, Coweta Baptist Church, the First Baptist Church and the Church of God of Prophesy. The Coweta Public Library offers a large collection of reading materials. The Koweta Mission Site, Coweta’s Mission Bell Museum and Information Center and the Broken Arrow Historical Museum offer insight into the area’s history.
Tulsa International is the nearest major airport.
Coweta Higher Education
Students in the area can pursue higher education at Tulsa Community College, Oklahoma State University and Oral Roberts University.