Introduction to Owasso, Oklahoma
Owasso, Oklahoma is 11 miles NE of Tulsa, Oklahoma. It is in Tulsa County. The city is part of the Tulsa metro area.
Owasso was first settled in by H.T. Richardson 1881. It was originally named Elm Creek. after a tributary of Bird Creek. The first post office of the area was established on February 10, 1898 and Preston Ballard became the first postmaster. The Kansas, Oklahoma Central & Southwestern Railway first entered the area on November 1, 1899. However, the depot was torn down in 1942. The city adopted its present name on January 24, 1900. It was incorporated on March 26, 1904.
Owasso and nearby Attractions
- Echelon Shopping Center
- Owasso Historical Museum
- Tulsa Zoo
- Sand Springs Cultural and Historical Museum
- Lake Keystone State Park
- Will Rogers Memorial and Birthplace
Things To Do In Owasso
Owasso offers easy access to many museums and historic, including the J.M. Davis Arms & Historical Museum, the Owasso Historical Museum, the Philbrook Museum of Art, the Gilcrease Museum, the Sand Springs Cultural and Historical Museum and the Will Rogers Memorial and Birthplace. The Wah-Sha-She State Park and the Lake Keystone State Park provide facilities for camping, biking, boating and hiking. The Walnut Creek State Park also provides facilities for horseback riding, swimming and fishing.
Tulsa International Airport is nearby.
Owasso Higher Education
The University of Tulsa, Oral Roberts University and Tulsa Community College are a short distance away.