Introduction to Arnold, Pennsylvania
Arnold, Pennsylvania, in Westmoreland county, is 15 miles NE of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Part of the surrounding Pittsburgh metro area, the city is not isolated.
This region was originally settled by Major Andrew Arnold in 1852. However, its history dates back to 1781, when the area was purchased by Robert McCrea. This property later passed on to William Jack. The community was named in honor of Major Arnold, who purchased the land from the Jack family. Following the establishment of the Chambers Glass Company in 1891, the community experienced significant growth, and gradually developed into a thriving industrial town. Arnold was officially incorporated on January 14, 1896.
Arnold and Nearby Attractions
- Bushy Run Battlefield
- Frick Art & Historical Center
- Rachel Carson Homestead
- Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
- National Aviary
- Caddie Shak Family Fun Park
Things To Do In Arnold
Bushy Run Battlefield marks the site of a Pontiac's War battle in which the Anglo-Indians won a decisive victory against the colonial rulers. Several hundreds of endangered and exotic birds can be seen at the National Aviary, while the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium is home to over 4,000 animals of almost 500 different species. Situated in Pittsburgh's residential East End, Frick Art & Historical Center is a combination of museums and historical buildings spread across 5 acres. The city of Arnold is also close to several other historic sites and museums such as the Andy Warhol Museum, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Westmoreland Museum of American Art, Clayton - Henry Clay Frick Estate, Rachel Carson Homestead, and Fort Pitt Museum. Raccoon Creek State Park features a lake and offers facilities for boating, hiking, fishing, camping, and picnicking. Other popular destinations in the area include the Caddie Shak Family Fun Park, and Idlewild Park.
Air transportation is available from Pittsburgh International Airport.
Arnold Higher Education
Colleges near Arnold include Penn State New Kensington, Carnegie Mellon University, and Chatham College.