Introduction to Jackson, Tennessee
Jackson, Tennessee, in Madison county, is 76 miles NE of Memphis, Tennessee.
Jackson was originally known as Alexandria. It was first settled in the early 1800s. In 1822, the city was renamed Jackson after Andrew Jackson, the 7th President of the United States. The city was founded in 1821. In the same year, it became the county seat of the newly formed Madison County. Prior to the American Civil War, the city developed as a railroad junction. The Mobile and Ohio Railroad was the first to enter the area in 1851.
Jackson and nearby Attractions
- Casey Jones Home & Railroad Museum
- Jackson Plaza Shopping Center
- Cypress Grove Nature Park
- Lake Graham
- Britton Lane Battlefield
- Pinson Mounds State Archaeological Area
Things To Do In Jackson
Jackson is home to Cypress Grove Park. A visit to the Casey Jones Home & Railroad Museum, the Pinson Mounds State Archaeological Area and the Britton Lane Battlefield may prove interesting to those hoping to learn more about the region’s history. The Old Hickory Mall Shopping Center, the Lynnwood Place Shopping Center, the Bemis Square Shopping Center, the Hollywood Shopping Center and the Oak Hill Shopping Center are some of the local shopping destinations. The Highland Green Golf Course and Jackson Country Club provide facilities for local golfers. Local celebrations include the African Street Festival, the Casey Jones Day, Rockabilly Festival, Bluegrass Festival, the Casey Jones Village Old Time Music Festival and the West Tennessee State Fair.
Memphis International is the nearest major airport.
Jackson Higher Education
Jackson State Community College, Lane College, Union University, Tennessee Technology Center at Jackson and Lambuth University are the local institutions of higher education.