The primary economic assets in Johnson City, Tennessee are East Tennessee State University and the "Med-Tech corridor" which is anchored by Johnson City Medical Center and ETSU's Quillen College of Medicine. Other significant parts of the economy are agriculture (livestock, corn and tobacco), healthcare, manufacturing, telemarketing and finance.
Johnson City is the headquarters of prominent companies including General Shale Brick LLC, American Water Heater Company, Banta Southeast Inc., Mullican Flooring, TPI Corporation and Cantech Industries.
The top job sectors in Johnson City include healthcare, educational services, construction, accommodation and food services, and professional, scientific and technical services. Management, professional and related occupations (33% of the jobs). Sales and office occupations (28% of the labor force).
Notable information about Johnson City: Johnson City has been ranked the 44th best small place for business and careers in the nation by Forbes. Cost of living index in 2008: 82.6 (national average: 100). Adult population which has earned a bachelor's degree or higher: 29%. Average earnings in 2009: $27,000.
Johnson City's leading employers:
- Mountain States Health Alliance
- East Tennessee State University
- Johnson City Medical Center, Inc
- Citi Commerce Solutions
- Washington County School System
- James H. Quillen VA Medical Center
- American Water Heater Company
- Cingular Wireless
- Walmart Stores, Inc
- Sears Roebuck and Co
- Robert Bosch LLC
- Murray Guard, Inc
- Medical Education Assistance Corp
- Cherokee Sanford Group, LLC
- Reinhart Foodservice, LLC
- RDSR Enterprises
- Alemite, LLC
- Banta Southeastern, Inc
- Siemens Energy & Automation, Inc
- Powell Construction Company, Inc
Johnson City businesses have access to helpful organizations such as:
- Johnson City Chamber of Commerce
- Economic Development Board-JC JWC
- Tennessee Small Business Development Centers
- Small Business Administration - Tennessee
Business and economic news regarding Johnson City is available at Johnson City Press.