Introduction to Martin, Tennessee
Martin was established in 1873. The area was at that time the point of intersection between the Mississippi Central Railroad and the Northwestern and Nashville Railroad. The original settlement was named Green Briar Glade, due to the bramble briars and scrubby timber in the area. After the completion of the Central Illinois Railroad in 1873, the city was renamed Frost Depot. Later on, the name of town was changed to Martin, after William Martin.
Martin and nearby Attractions
- Obion County Museum
- Big Oak Tree State Park
- Reelfoot Lake State Park
- New Madrid Historical Museum
- Big Cypress Tree State Park
- Columbus Belmont State Park
Things To Do In Martin
Virginia Weldon Park, Rotary Field, Big Oak Tree State Park and Columbus Belmont State Park offer facilities for outdoor recreation. The Reelfoot National Wildlife Refuge is also a notable location in the area. Local churches include the Martin Church of Christ, Central Baptist Church and the Miles Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church.
Memphis International is the nearest major airport.
Martin Higher Education
The University of Tennessee is the local institution of higher education. Other nearby institutions are Union University, John A Logan College and Murray State University.