Abilene is the region's financial and commercial hub. Abilene's diversified manufacturers include oil-field and agricultural equipment, metals, food and dairy products, musical instruments, electronic, aircraft and missile components; and clothing. Livestock and agriculture are notable economic components. The Dyess Air Force Base is a major employer in Abilene.
First Financial Bankshares is the largest employer in the finance sector. The top employers in the medical sector are Hendrick Health System and Abilene Regional Med., Center. Eagle Aviation Services provides jobs in the aviation maintenance sector. Lauren Engineers is a notable engineering firm.
Abilene's leading employment segments are healthcare, educational services, construction, accommodation and food services, finance and insurance and the government. Management, professional and related occupations comprise about 29% of the labor force. Approximately 23% of the workers are employed in service jobs. About 22% of the workforce is employed in sale and office occupations.
Notable information regarding Abilene, Texas: Estimated median household income in 2007: $39,000. Cost of living index in 2008: 77.7 (U.S. average: 100). Adults holding a bachelor's degree or better: 22%.
The top manufacturing companies in Abilene, Texas:
- Fehr Foods - Cookie manufacturer
- Rentech Boiler Systems, Inc - Industrial boilers
- Abtex Beverage - Soft drinks
- Tige Boats - Boat manufacturer
- Mrs. Baird's Bakery - Bakery products
- Coca Cola of Abilene - Soft drinks
- Zoltek - Carbon fiber
- Hirschfeld Steel - Steel fabrication
- Bandag, Ind - Rubber and retread
- MicroMetals/Texas - Iron Core Powder
Abilene, Texas has numerous popular jobs where the majority of the workers are college graduates including registered nurses, teachers, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives, pharmacists, medical and health services managers, employment, recruitment and placement specialists; child, family and school social workers; and management analysts.
Associations offering assistance to local businesses include:
- Abilene Chamber of Commerce
- Abilene Industrial Economic Development Foundation
- Texas Economic Development Council
- Texas Association of Manufacturers
- Small Business Administration - Texas
Abilene Reporter News is a good resource regarding local business and industry news.