Amarillo, Texas is regarded as a regional economic center. Amarillo's major employers are a diverse group of manufacturers, central and back-office operations and distribution companies. Hospitals, educational institutions and banks are also major employers. BWXT Pantex, a nuclear weapons assembly and disassembly facility, is a major employer. The city is home to a Bell Helicopter Textron facility. The Amarillo area is also one of the country's largest meat packing locations.
Petroleum extraction is an important industry in Amarillo. The city also includes fiberglass production, food processing, copper refining and foundries. Some of the notable food processing companies are Tyson Foods, Affiliated Foods, Inc., Ben E. Keith and McCarty-Hull Agriculture. Tyson Foods is a major employer in Amarillo. The prominent companies in business & financial services are AIG, SITEL, Blue Cross Blue Shield and Nationwide.
The significant employment providing sectors in Amarillo, Texas are healthcare, educational services, construction, manufacturing, government, meat and meat products, and finance and insurance. Management, professional and related occupations (27% of the workforce). Sales and office occupations (24% of the jobs). Service occupations (19% of the labor force).
Notable information about Amarillo, Texas: Estimated median household income in 2007: $40,000. Cost of living index in 2008: 78.5 (national average: 100). Adult population which has earned a bachelor's degree or better: 21%.
The city's major employers:
- Amarillo Independent School District
- Tyson Foods, Inc
- BWXT Pantex
- Baptist St. Anthony's Health Care Systems
- City of Amarillo
- Northwest Texas Healthcare System
- Affiliated Foods
- Texas Department of Criminal Justice
- VA Medical Center, Amarillo
- Xcel Energy
- United Supermarkets
- Texas Tech University Health Science Center
- Bell Helicopter Textron, Inc
- Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad
The city's major manufacturing companies are provided below:
- BWXT, Pantex
- Amarillo Gear Company
- Bell Helicopter Textron
- Tech Spray, Inc
- Owens Corning Fiberglass
- Arden Corporation
- Crouse Hinds, Division of Cooper Industries
- Weyerhaeuser Paper Company
- ASARCO Inc
Local businesses are invited to work with associations such as:
- Amarillo Chamber of Commerce
- Amarillo Economic Development Corporation
- Texas Economic Development Council
- Texas Association of Manufacturers
- Small Business Administration - Texas
Those interested in staying current with Amarillo business activities may want to visit Amarillo.com.