Introduction to Canyon, Texas
Canyon began as a community between the mid to late 19th century. On behalf of T. Anchor Ranch in 1878, William B. Munson and Jot Gunter selected the site where the City of Canyon would be built. Settlers arrived from 1887 onwards, after the arrival of L.G. Conner. Conner’s home went on to become the area’s general store, post office and voting place. Canyon City was declared the county seat of Randall County in 1889, and incorporated as the City of Canyon in 1906.
Canyon and nearby Attractions
- Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge
- Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum
- Lake Rita Blanca State Park
- Palo Duro Canyon State Park
Things To Do In Canyon
The Palo Duro Canyon State Park occupies 26,275 acres in the northern area of the Palo Duro Canyon, which is the second largest canyon in the country. Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge is a popular wintering destination for migrating waterfowl, and is host to thousands of geese and ducks every winter. The area consists of 7,664 acres of shortgrass prairie, marsh, woodland, riparian and cropland habitats.
Air transportation facilities are available at Amarillo International Airport.
Canyon Higher Education
West Texas A & M University is the local institution providing courses in higher education. Other nearby colleges include Amarillo College and Wayland Baptist University.